One of my favourite dessert is the Mango Sago Pomelo dessert and it is not difficult to make at all. To make a healthier version, I replaced the sago with Chia Seeds and since I don’t fancy the idea of drinking evaporated milk, I substituted it with coconut milk and pasteurized milk. I guess I could make it even healthier by using almond milk but I suspect the taste would be a tad different from the original. For now, I quite like how this version turns out – it’s somewhat the same as the one I like.
I managed to yield 6 portions from this recipe.
200ml coconut milk
4 tbsp chia seeds (though I think 3 tbsp is sufficient)
400ml mango juice (I used Marigold’s Peel Fresh Tropical Mango)
- Combine both coconut milk and milk together and add in the Chia Seeds to allow them to bloom. Set aside in the fridge.
2. Remove the flesh from the mango. Set aside some for garnishing later.
3. Using a handheld blender, blend the mango flesh together with the mango juice until it is well-mixed.
4. Add in the chia seeds + milk mixture to the mango mixture and stir until they are mixed well.
5. Peel the pomelo and remove the flesh, breaking them up into smaller portions. I only used about half of the pomelo. Store the rest in the fridge.
6. Pour the mango mixture onto a glass and top it up with mango bits and pomelo.
This is best served chilled and I reserved a few bottles in the fridge and ate them a day later. Still mighty good. I don’t usually make this dessert but because I saw both the main ingredients for sale in the supermarket and decided to make it.