Every pregnancy is different.
This time round with Daniel (he’s our second child), I had mild nauseous during my first trimester but apart from that, there was no swollen feet or cramps of the legs during bedtime unlike the first pregnancy. There was little craving (or next to none) and life was business as usual.
However, this time round, I was more anxious than the first during the last stage because the baby kept turning his position while in the womb. He was in the downward position in week 36 and 37 but turned breech and horizontal during the last 2 weeks.
He was too active.
On Monday, 5 October, I had my last checkup and it seemed that he had moved head-down again and we decided to induce him the following morning. I have wanted a vaginal birth as opposed to a C-sect as much as possible and thus this decision.
It was however, a decision that was not without much struggle. At the back of our minds, K and I were asking ourselves if we were playing God by going ahead with induction. In His time. .. In His time… but were we intervening when we agreed to induce?
Of course, there is always the possibility that Daniel will flip again and this was really beyond my control. That afternoon, a BSF-mate called and prayed for me from which I got the peace to go ahead with the plan.
That night, I didn’t sleep well. I was sitting on the armchair hoping that gravity will help in stabilising Daniel’s position and that means ‘bye bye’ to sleep. Obviously, this is not proven and I should be gathering as much rest as possible but as long as he’s in a downward position, I could do with little sleep.
We checked in at 8.15am after sending F to school. The reception counter was busy and we had to wait a while. Dr Poon had quite a busy day ahead and I was panicking.
Anyway, on instruction, the nurse gave me the liquid thing and I did the big poo (sry, can’t remember the term for it).
Dr Poon came and did the scan. Ok great, Daniel’s head was still down and I was 2cm dilated. He broke my water bag and I was put on drip immediately. That was 9.40am.
The pain was all bearable until about 11am. I was 4cm dilated and there was a drop in the Daniel’s heartbeat. The nurse reported this to Dr Poon and he instructed her to stop my drip. I was given oxygen due to that and from then on, contractions started to kick in.
Daniel’s head, however, was too high up.
My instruction to the nurse was to have the laughing gas and the jab on the thigh. At 11.30am, I asked for laughing gas because the pain has increased.
At about 1 plus pm, Dr Poon came and told me that it would still take about 3 to 4 hours before I became fully dilated. I nearly fainted upon hearing that. The pain was increasing in leaps and bounds and I told the nurse that I needed the jab. I rejected epidural and minutes later, I regretted.
After about 30 minutes, the pain was unbearable.
I was gripping on to the sides of the bed and the pain intensified. I suddenly felt the urge to push but was told earlier that I could not lest the cervix area rupture. But then the urge to push was automatic and I cried out. The nurses came in, checked my dilation and said it’s fully open!
Thankfully Dr Poon was still around and I heard him put on the gown and more nurses came in. They got me in a ready position and asked me to push.
I think I pushed a total of 5 times before Daniel came out.
It was crazy, the pain.
I think I must have forgotten how painful it was the previous time. After Daniel came out, Dr Poon took out the placenta and stored the blood cord for us. He showed me the placenta but I was like ‘ok, whatever ‘ and drifted back to drowsy state.
Too much pain.
Daniel weighed 3.154kg and measured 51cm long at birth.
Skin-to-skin contact but I was semi conscious. Was too tired by the whole episode.
This is joy… when I held him at a more conscious state.
I’m thankful that the Lord allows me to deliver him naturally and without epidural. During that last stage, I was mentally scolding myself for not using it. But I really don’t want to suffer the side-effects too (it’s a personal preference). Sigh… but all is well now.
Sleepless nights ahead. For now, I’m just thankful that he’s out safely.
Holding my finger tightly with his, while being breastfed.
PD examined the boy and all was well. But we will only know his jaundice level the next day and if he could be discharged.
The boy didn’t pee and it was advised that we give him formula milk. I would be dead against it for my firstborn but now my reply is, “Ok loh”.
Poor second child.
I have gained a total of 11kg for this pregnancy and hopefully I could go back to my pre-pregnancy weight in time to come. For now, I would have to rest (not sure if I could) and eat well so that the milk could come in.
Faith was excited about his brother and wanted to touch and ‘sayang’ him all the time. Of course, we were afraid that the force that she exerts would be wrong and kept reminding her to be gentle. Think she was frustrated by our concern!
Presenting you our family of four!