You should have seen the many bookmarks that I have made on the cookbooks.
I’m itching to bake them.
First up is this Poppy Seed/ Black Sesame Seed Beancurd Chiffon Cake. The original recipe calls for poppy seeds but because it is illegal for us to own them, the alternative is to use toasted black sesame seeds.
(Adapted from Alex Goh’s Fruity Cakes)
4 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
50g vegetable oil
40g soy milk
100g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
4 egg whites
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1 tbsp poppy seeds/ toasted sesame seeds
1. Mix (A) until well blended and then add (B) and mix well.
2. Whisk egg whites in (C) until soft peaks form (foamy stage). Then add sugar and cream of tartar. Continue to whip until stiff peaks are formed.
3. Take 1/4 of the meringue and mix with the above egg yolk mixture from step (1) until well combined. Add the remaining meringue and fold well.
4. Add (D) and mix until well combined.
5. Pour the batter into a 22-cm angel food cake tin. Bake at 170C for 40 -45 minutes. I used a 17-cm tin and it worked okay.
6. Immediately invert it after taking it out from the oven and let it cool.
7. When it is cool, remove it from the mould.
* I used poppy seeds for this cake since I have a little left in the kitchen.
* Didn’t manage to take a lot of pictures for the steps since I thought that it would be a failed attempt but it works! Will do so the next time!