It’s the last day of 2013 and it’s apt to look through what I have achieved from my 30 stuff’s list of things to do.
(1) Breastfeed Faith for at least six months [Completed. I did it for a year!]
It has been my intention all along that I would breastfeed Faith exclusively for this amount of time and thus, I applied for 2 months’ of NPL to achieve that. But my gynae has suggested that I continue to do that for one whole year. And I did it! Not going back to work helps a lot and in the end Faith initiated to stop breastfeeding which was a terrific ending, IMHO. No guilt!
(2) Communicate with Faith using Mandarin [Ongoing]
Ken and I have talked about this and we have long decided that Faith should grow up knowing both languages well. Since Ken is the better English speaker between the both of us, I gladly took up speaking to Faith in Mandarin. While I am okay with conversational Mandarin, I’m definitely not good with reading. So it’s definitely back to learning the language again!
(3) Project ‘While You Were Sleeping’ [Completed]
This idea was conceived in my boredom in my initial months of caring for Faith which can be a lonely path, especially when your world is the apartment that you live in. It gives me real joy and excitement when I could bake when Faith was sleeping. Imagine the challenge of having to create something in that short span of time and then…the eating part! Thankfully, the baked goods are appreciated too!
(4) Run with Faith [Completed]
I wanted Faith to grow up being secured and knowing that life is filled with all possibilities and fun (amid pain and suffering). I, myself, have witnessed how my own mom embraced life, toiling daily while taking time to pursue her interests. So, yes, I hope to share my passions with Faith and the first being running! I ran with her (in stroller) for Shape run. Bless them for having a new category – Stroller fun run!
(5) Run with buddies [Completed]
I find it difficult to find running buddies, especially now that I have to take care of a kid so time is actually not on my side most of the time. Still, I recalled the few runs that I had with my gfs and I thought I should continue to do that. Nike 5km run, completed!
(6) Attempt half marathon [DNC]
It’s far too ambitious of me to try a half marathon. Right now, if I could run a 10km, it is considered good. So, obviously, this is a Did-Not-Complete!
(7) Plan a family trip to Penang [Completed]
(8) Food/Photography post (Travelogue) of the Penang trip [Completed]
(9) Back to roots: Cook 5 Peranakan dishes [DNC]
Sadly, I only did one dish – Bakwan Kepiting. Never mind, I shall try again in 2014.
(10) Back to roots: Cook ONE Hakka dish [DNC]
(11) Read 10 books for 2013 [Completed]
Read 15 books according to my Goodreads account.
(12) Attend Pilates once a week [DNC]
Signing up for a gym membership is a total waste of money, for me. So, the lesson learnt is to just sign up for Pilates class instead of a gym membership.
(13) Capture the development of Faith through the lens [Completed]
I am one person who likes to reminisce and I do so through pictures. Faith grows up so fast and at times, I fail to capture beautiful moments that could be stored in my memory (card). I hope to take good pictures of her and document her growth weekly. You are my wild is my inspiration.
(14) Shed the stubborn 3kg
I put on a total of 13kg during the pregnancy of which 9kg goes to Faith, placenta and whatever contents found in the womb. Am left with 2kg to shed but these 2kg are too stubborn to get rid of!
(15) Do something for mom to celebrate Mother’s Day [Completed]
I think I baked a cake for her!
(16) Document 10 Bento boxes [DNC]
This is a DNC since I didn’t go back to work in the end. ;(
(17) Bake 10 different types of bread [Completed]
Baking bread is therapeutic and I always learn something new from the process. Besides, a colleague has decided to turn to baking and I thought it would be good to share what I have learnt with her.
(18) To attempt FFWD at least 3 times a month [DNC]
I will still try to do so in 2014 as I’ve learnt much about French cuisine just by cooking through the cookbook every Friday and sharing with fellow Doristas.
(19) Attend a musical [DNC]
(20) Attend a BSF seminar [Completed]
(21) Conduct a baking session for friends [Completed]
I have conducted a macaron baking session with a few gfs in Boston before we left. This time round, what would it be?
(22) A quest for early breakfast places [Completed]
Our family are early risers and we crave for good early breakfast during the weekends. Let’s see if we can hit 10 this year.
(23) Bake and decorate a cake to celebrate my mom’s birthday [Completed!]
Ok, I can bake a cake but if you know me, I am real poor in decorating. It definitely couldn’t make the mark. But I’ll try and what kind of cake should I bake?
(24) Attend a Parenting workshop and blog about my learning [Completed]
Da man and I attended the Parenting with Confidence workshop and it has been really insightful.
(25) Attend a workshop on makeup [Completed]
I’m terrible at this because I don’t know how to. Besides, I prefer my face to be naked, bare. However, when I go to a function and realised how dull I look, I realised I should do something about it. Vain? Low self-esteem? Whatever. :p
(26) Make my own Bak Chang (Rice dumpling) [DNC]
But, who can teach me?