This week’s bake for the CG. A simple cupcake. Suitable for the kids.
150g butter, softened slightly
150g castor sugar
180g self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
60g cream cheese, softened
70g icing sugar
2 tbsp Ribena blackcurrant juice cordial
1. Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy before adding in eggs, one at a time. Ensure each egg is well incorporated before adding the next one.
2. Fold in half the sifted flour, add milk and vanilla and then fold in the remaining flour without over-mixing or beating the mixture.
3. Fill paper-lined patty tins with cake batter, filling them up 3/4 full. Bake in a preheated oven (190C) for 12-15 minutes or until cakes are well-risen and golden brown. When cakes are done, transfer them to a cooling wire rack.
4. Combine butter and cream cheese in a small bowl, beating until smooth and creamy. Add icing sugar and Ribena blackcurrant juice cordial – beat till well mixed.
5. Swirl Ribena frosting onto cooled cupcakes. If you like, create a ‘marbled’ effect by adding a few drops of Ribena blackcurrant juice cordial to the top of the cakes and dragging it through the frosting with a toothpick.