I need a bigger kitchen and cool weather too! These days, Mr Sun has been shining so brightly and fiercely that one could easily be sapped of energy. We felt lethargic and even running for a mere 2km was a feat. It was too hot!
We did a 5km in the morning and upon returning home, I was hungry. It was 11am, just the right time to prepare lunch. I had wanted to prepare the steamed chicken with coriander and ginger dressing, a recipe I had kept in the blog for months. It was pretty easy to execute but it’s not just this dish that I’m preparing…I’m also stir-frying my favourite kang kong. So, my small stove-top can only accommodate small pans. Once the wok is in use, the other pots have to ‘squeeze’ in. My countertop is small too and while attempting mise en place, frustration set in.
I fully know I should be contented with this space since it’s considered relatively comfortable in apartments of this region. But it’s a far cry from the one back home. The real kitchen space is about 1/3 of the one at home and countertop space is soooooo limited! I know I shouldn’t complain but today I just wanted to rant! The hot weather didn’t help, nor did the very empty stomach. =p A hungry man is an angry man. Indeed!
But the dish is marvelicious! I…LOVE it! You would have extra sauce with the recipe and I think I would do a liang mian with it. Just nice for a summer day!
2 chicken thigh ( I used without skin)
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander stems
4-cm piece ginger, sliced into stripes
2 clove garlic, minced
1 red chilli, finely sliced
2 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp black vinegar/ chiang kiang vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp sesame oil
3 tbsp peanut or corn oil
1) Prepare dressing by combining all the ingredients except the corn oil in a bowl.
2) Heat oil in a small, heavy-bottom pan until it starts to shimmer slightly. Turn off the heat and add the dressing ingredients. Stir to combine and set aside.
3) Choose a heatproof plate that will fit into your steamer. Arrange chicken on plate and steam for about 15 minutes, or until chicken is just tender.
4) remove and allow to rest for 5 minutes.
5) Drain off excess liquid from the chicken and transfer chicken to a chopping board. Chop chicken and arrange on a serving plate. Spoon over dressing and serve at room temperature.