Banana bread is a quick bread, made with a chemical leavening such as baking powder or baking soda instead of yeast. Banana bread batter also makes great muffins. Make them with young children; they’ll love it!
Ingredients (Makes 12 muffins)
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp butter, melted, plus more for the muffin cups
2 ripe bananas
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 egg whites
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup toasted and coarsely chopped walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter the muffin cups/ trays.
2. Mash the bananas using pastry cutter or fork.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder.
4. In a bowl, combine the butter, eggs, egg whites, granulated sugar and brown sugar, then pour the mixture over the flour mixture. Add the nuts and bananas. Fold the mixture just long enough to moisten the dry ingredients. Scoop the mixture into the muffin cups.
5. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comesout clean. If using a pan loaf, bake for a longer time. Turn the muffins out on a rack to cool.