I would have baked these for our wedding anniversary if not for the fact that I couldn’t find the cookie cutter (yes, I left all my cutters back home). A few days ago, I found the one that I wanted and today, it has arrived! Imagine the great joy!
So, the hands immediately went to work. I’ve all the ingredients ready, just waiting for the cutter. The ingredients needed were simple and mixing easy. I found the difficult part was the moulding of the shapes since one had to be careful to peel the dough and bring to the baking tray. Since it was not thick, it could go out of shape easily and my patience was tested. However, when you were able to assemble all the ‘parts’ together, the product was beautiful!
Let’s go through the steps together!
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup icing sugar, plus extra for dusting
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
6 tsp seedless raspberry jam
1. Sift the flour and salt together. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the butter and icing sugar and beat on medium speed until smooth. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and beat on low speed until well blended. Add the dry ingredients and beat until the dough comes together in large clumps (midway through, I gave up and used hands instead as the dough stuck to my mixer).
3. Press the dough together into a ball and divide it into half. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 40 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 325 F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Remove 1 dough from the refrigerator. Lightly dust a work surface and a rolling pin with flour. Roll out the dough about 6mm thick. Slide a thin metal spatula under the dough to loosen it from the rolling surface. Using a 6cm heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out cookies. Using a 2.5cm heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out the centre of half of the cookies. Place the larger hearts 4cm apart on the prepared parchment paper. I return the smaller hearts back to the dough to work on the remaning hearts. Repeat the procedure.
6. Bake the cookies until the edges are light brown about 15-20 min (depending on your oven). Let the cookies cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to the wire rcks to cool completely.
7. Leaving a 6mm border uncovered, spread about 1 tsp of the raspberry jam over each cookie with a cutout. Using a fine-mesh sieve, dust the cutout cookies with icing sugar. Place the cutout cookies on top of the jam-covered cookies. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Adapted from Essentials of baking.