I asked da man the other day what he was craving. You know sometimes, it could get challenging thinking of daily meals to make. His reply? Sweet & sour pork and Hainanese chicken rice.
So, here goes. Sweet & sour pork with egg fried rice (plain rice is a tad boring) for lunch! It was not easy because the steps are not direct. Nonetheless, it was worth every sweat!
250g pork loin, cut into 1cm cubes
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
oil, for deep-frying
9 tsp cornflour
9 tsp plain(all-purpose) flour
1tsp baking soda
a little egg
2 tsp finely grated garlic
1 tsp finely grated fresh root ginger
4 tbsp tomato ketchup
2 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp cornflour blended with 1/2 cup water
carrot, sliced into strips
4 spring onions, sliced into strips
egg fried rice to serve
1. Slice the carrots and spring onions into thin shreds.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine soy sauce with the rice wine, sesame oil and pepper. Add the pork and toss to mix. Cover and chill for 3-4 hours or overnight.
3. Combine the cornflour, plain flour and baking soda and mix with 2/3 cup cold water to make a thick batter. Add the pork to the batter and mix well with your hands to coat evenly.
4. Fill a wok with sufficient oil for deep frying. Fry the pork in batches for 1-2 minutes. Remove and drain on kitchen paper.
5. Mix together the garlic, ginger, tomato ketchup, sugar, soy sauce, rice vinegar and cornflour mixture. Place a small pan over a medium heat. Add the mixture and heat for 2-3 minutes, until thickened. Add the carrot and spring onions, stir and remove from the heat.
6. Reheat the deep-frying oil in the wok and then re-fry the pork pieces for 1-2 minutes, until golden and crisp. Drain and add to the sauce and toss to mix well. Serve with the egg fried rice.
There were a lot of steps involved for this dish but well worth it. You have to tweak the ingredients here and there to get it well. In the end, da man got what he wanted and I’m satisfied!