Makes 12-15 cupcakes
100g unsalted butter
180g caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 whole eggs
200g cake flour
60g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
220ml whole milk
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. Set aside 12 cupcake casings on a baking tray.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking soda. Set aside.
4. Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla essence until light and fluffy at medium speed. Scrape down the batter in the bowl once in a while if necessary.
5. Beat in the eggs one at a time until well incorporated.
6. At a slow speed, alternately fold in the flour mixture and milk. Stop the mixing process.
7. Spoon the cake batter into the prepared cupcake casing no more than 3/4 full.
8. Bake in the preheated oven on the middle rck for 15-18 minutes, or until an inserted cake tester comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
250g dark chocolate couverture
250g freshing whipping cream
1. Simmer the fresh whipping cream until it begins to start a boil.
2. Remove from the heat and pour the hot content into the bowl of dark chocolate couverture.
3. With a spatula, slowly stir the hot mixture until well combined.
4. Leave it aside to cool completely before using.
* To put the chocolate ganache filling in the cupcake, use a small knife and cut out a small circle int he centre of the cupcake. Fill the cupcake with ganache and cover back the cap of the cut out piece to the centre. Frost the cupcake with the buttercream recipe as below.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
250g unsalted butter
100g icing sugar
90g dark chocolate couverture
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Melt the dark chocolate couverture in the microwave or under hot water bath. Set aside.
2. In an electric mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter, icing sugar and vanilla extract until light and fluffy. Scrape down the bowl once in a while, if necessary.
3. Add in the melted dark chocolate couverture (make sure it’s not hot) and continue to beat until just well combined.
4. Buttercream is ready to use.
Coffee Buttercream Icing
150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp semi-skimmed milk, at room temperature
2 tsp instant espresso powder, dissolved in a small amount of hot water
350g icing sugar, sifted
In a large mixing bowl, beat the butter, milk, espresso mixture and half the icing sugar until smooth. Gradually add the remainder of the icing sugar to produce a buttercream of a creamy and smooth consistency.