3 1/2 tbsp butter
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup button mushrooms, chopped
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 cup whole milk
2 1/2 oz. smoked ham, finely chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Makes 12 muffins
1. Preheat oven 170 degrees.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat, then fry onion and mushrooms until cooked. Season with sea salt and black pepper. Set aside.
3. Put the flour, baking powder, and cheese in a large bowl. In a separate bowl, mix the milk and egg together, then pour into the flour mixture and beat with a handheld electric whisk.
4. Stir in the onion, mushrooms and chopped ham with a wooden spoon until evenly dispersed.
5. Spoon the batter into the paper cases until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until deep golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let the muffins cool slightly in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Source: The hummingbird bakery cookbook.