I must have been out of my mind when I agreed to my friend’s suggestion of going for a holiday with the kid in tow. It’s crazy because the hubs will not be going with me though I’m travelling with two close friends who are experienced with kids. The best arrangement is to have someone look after her while I have my break but we can’t find suitable and reliable childcare so she has to tag along! So technically, it’s a work trip for me!
I have been backpacking through all my leisure travels but this time round, I think I had better not be so ‘gungho’ (adventurous). The hubs bought me a suitcase so that it will be a tad easier for me to travel. Travelling with a little one can be challenging especially when she still cannot articulate her thoughts but I intend to give it a try!
We decided to go to somewhere near and which we are familiar with. So it’s Hong Kong for our dim sum, shopping and hiking!
Here’s my packing list for a 4D3N trip to this Asian country. It’s really more for Faith than me since I can easily buy should I lack anything.
- Diapers. Bringing extra won’t hurt!
- Wet wipes. At least one big pack and the rest can be bought.
- Blanket(s). I use Aden Anais’ muslin swaddle as blanket, changing pad and Faith’s comfort item.
- Plastic bags. Carry a variety of sizes for storing soiled diapers, clothes, and shoes.
- Small bottles of disinfecting hand gel and toiletries
- Toys and books. I definitely won’t be bringing a lot since my only main concern is to get Faith entertained during the flight journey. This jigsaw book is one I would definitely bring on board!
- Clothes, socks, and shoes. Thankfully, the weather is rather similar to ours and what’s good is that it is cooler. I would just need to bring along some cardigans or we can layer as we go along!
- Handkerchiefs as bibs. Faith is drooling lots at times so these will help a lot.
- Portable ‘chair‘. I use the sack and seat especially when the eatery does not provide high chair.
- First aid kit. This is ultra important when travelling with a young kid - Baby paracetamol / ibuprofen, digital thermometer, vicks, etc.
- Stroller. I know HK isn’t the best place to travel with a stroller but I’m not sure if I can carry her all the way. A light-weight one such as the Combi’s QuicKids is ideal. It’s only 4kg. I can manage that!
- Carrier. What can I do without it? I travel everywhere with the carrier and I just adore Boba’s fuss-free carrier! We will be doing some hiking and this will definitely come in useful!
Here’s a peek at the interior of the suitcase.
And here’s what I bring on board the plane (I’m a kiasu mama):
- 3 diapers (I know Faith will poo)
- wet wipes (saviour)
- 1 jigsaw puzzle
- Faith’s favourite bars and biscuits
- water bottle
- milk powder
- Faith’s Care Bear
- plastic bags
Let’s just see if I have overpacked in the end. Stay tuned!